08 March 2019

Ready to Run


I don’t like  running. 

I do like sprinting; I have very quick pick-up speed, even at my older age. I notice this every time I’m on my bike at a red light, next to another biker, and the light turns green. I don’t think I’ve ever been in that situation (without kids on the bike with me) where I haven’t just left the other biker in my trail. My legs can move very quickly, but not for long periods of time.

I don’t like running. 

For me, running is moving your legs for a long time. Sprinting is not. I don’t think I’ve ever liked running for long periods of time, partly because, I get winded. I can’t pace myself. I want to sprint - all the time; which is an insane thing for anyone to do, unless they are in a short race.

I don’t like running.

I signed up for a 10K a couple of weeks ago. Why, you may ask? 

I signed up for the shirt.

A year ago, I signed our kid up for a 1K kids' run, thinking she would like it (she likes running more than I do), and she did. She got a shirt. I liked that shirt. I wanted a shirt, partly because I had to run with her for the 1K, and why shouldn’t I get one? Turns out adults can’t get shirts for a kids’ race, and adults can’t sign up for a 1K run.

This year, I signed up for the 10K race that is happening that same day, as part of the Edinburgh Marathon Festival.

After I signed up, I realised the only shoes I own that could be called ‘running shoes’ are at least 12 years old, and pieces of the sole have been coming off for the past 2 years. I got new shoes.

I then realised that I have no idea how to prepare for a 10K. Part of me thought of doing nothing - I ride a bike 50-75 miles a week, so why train? Riding and running are two very different things. I need to train. I found a website with a 10K training plan.

I started training on Tuesday. As I jogged that first day, and then again two days later, I had to constantly remind myself not to start sprinting. I don’t like jogging; I don’t like running.

But I’m going to be ready to run this 10K; so I can get a shirt.

1 comment: