01 March 2019

4 Weeks


In four weeks, the UK is scheduled - possibly, maybe, maybe not - to leave the UK. Nobody knows if it will happen, what it will look like if it does happen, or the repercussions if it happens.

On the radio, I hear an ad where you hear a ‘European’ asking what life will be like post-Brexit, you also hear a ‘Businessperson’ and a person ‘married to a European’. These people say they don’t know what life will be like for them post-Brexit and don’t know how they will be affected. The ad directs them to a website that will help them through this.

The thing is, nobody knows what life will be like for these people. No one knows this, because there is no real plan in place. I work with international students. We have no idea how Brexit will affect these students, and we should be people that know this sort of thing better than Joe Schmoe on the street. 

I’m not going to comment on if the UK should have voted to leave the EU in the first place; I wasn’t a UK citizen at the time, so I couldn’t vote, and as a resident of a country, I feel like I should accept the will of the people who have welcomed me to live amongst them.

My issue is, there seems to have been no real plan on dealing with the outcome of the people voting the UK out. It’s been nearly 3 years since the vote happened. To now be 4 weeks away and not know what will happen is kind of scary, and is utterly ridiculous. 

I hear the ad on the radio and talk about Brexit at work and I can’t help but laugh because what else can I really do? Cry?

No comments:

Post a Comment