11 September 2011

10 years is a long time

I was watching the news today, talking about 9/11, and how people on United 93 called their family members. I only got my first mobile phone a few months before 9/11. At the time, I was surprised to learn that phones would be able to get a signal mid-flight. Ten years is long time.

I don't want to talk about what I did that day - everyone has their story, and I see no need to tell you mine. What I'm most struck by today, is just how different my life is now than it was then.

Ten years ago....

I hadn't started teaching at De Anza, I hadn't started the PhD I never finished, and I hadn't even thought of getting the MBA that I did finish.

I didn't have dreadlocks 10 years ago, and had no plans to grow them out again (I was in the 3-year hole between both rounds of dreads). I had no chickenpox scars, hadn't separated the shoulder that bothers me every time I go to the gym, had no idea how painful lower back pain could be, and I had only one tattoo.

I didn't know my wife existed ten years ago, much less that she would end up being from my father's home town. I didn't have any siblings-in-law ten years ago; two fewer people who called me 'uncle', one more person that called me 'grandson', and one more person who called me their son.

I wonder where life will take me in the next 10 years.

Fi with uncle Jeff (2002)

Maya with uncle Jeff (2008)

2 comments:

  1. One of my most significant memories of 9/11/01 was phoning you at about 10:15am Eastern Time, 7:15 Pacific Time, saying little except "turn on your TV!" I think my voice cracked at that point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ten years is a long time, but a short blog entry. There is more here that would interest your readers I think .
    Christa

    ReplyDelete