08 March 2010

What do those who can't teach do?

Is it bad of me to not want to do something I'm supposedly good at?

In the Fall of 1998, I was in my first semester as a graduate student instructor when I was observed for the first time. The observer said I was a born teacher; that day changed the path of my life. The thing is, I never wanted to teach before that day, and there have been many days since then when I have felt I was not in the right profession, somehow. Like there is some other Sliding Doors version of me doing something different.

I don't really want to teach while in Oxford, but everyone keeps saying "you shouldn't have a problem finding a job teaching math(s). Math(s) teachers are needed everywhere". Because of this, I have applied for some teaching positions.

One school asked me to come in and teach on Friday for 20 minutes, followed by an interview. Because of the lack of real interest I have of teaching in the UK, I didn't prepare very much. I figured I would use compound interest to develop the number e (non-math people can ignore the last sentence).

I taught, had the interview, found out the job starts in mid-April, when I'll be in the U.S. So I said I hoped they found someone good, but if they needed a volunteer to help out in the school, let me know.

They offered me a teaching job. One of the teachers who observed me said she was "blown away" by my teaching. To be honest, I don't see how anyone could be blown away by teaching I did that day.

Apparently, a relatively inexperienced teacher had to take on some additional classes several weeks ago and had been overwhelmed. They wanted to know if I could take over 2 of his classes (12 hours a week) for the last 2 weeks of the 12-week term. Most of the time would be spent reviewing what the students have covered during the term.

I was offered the job less than 48 hours before they wanted me to start at the school. I should have said no then and there, but I didn't. Instead, I took the 7 small textbooks they gave me and said I would look through the material.

A few hours later, I realized I should have said no earlier. One of the classes was filled with physics formulas that looked familiar; I had seen them in my physics classes - 15 years ago. In addition problems were worded very differently from what I was used to, leaving me wondering what some questions were actually asking the student to do.

I then looked through the materials for the other class. It had material ranging from what I learned in middle school, to 2nd semester calculus. While I can teach all of this, it was unclear how in-depth one could possibly get covering this material in 12 weeks - much less review all that material in a week and a half before a big exam.

I decided then that I didn't want this job. Students were going to be taking exams in two weeks that would have a lot to say about what universities they go to. I don't think the American with no experience teaching mathematics in this country should be the one to lead their review for these exams, when he had less than 2 days to prepare.

I emailed the school, letting them know that I would simply need more time if I were to try and wrap my head around the English mathematics curriculum. Part of me felt bad for the students - maybe I would have been a better teacher than the one they had, but I can't believe that someone in my position would be any better than the teacher they have been working with for the past several weeks.

I also felt, I shouldn't put these students (who I don't know) ahead of myself, to do something I don't really want to do, just because I'm supposedly good at it.

3 comments:

  1. Speaking from the perspective of having been your student, I can tell you why people are impressed with your teaching ability. You always appear to be very at ease in front of a classroom, and you systematically go through your lesson plan without allowing yourself to stray off topic. You also encourage the participation of your students in the teaching process, a simple act that makes students feel a part of the learning process. In other words, you treat your students like human beings. Seems like a very simple concept, but it's so hard for so many teachers.

    You make teaching look easy. You aren't just good at it, you ARE a teacher. Maybe you are a little burned out? Maybe you would be happier doing something else all together? But whatever you do, I suggest you look at what it is that makes you a great teacher, and see how that can be applied to other professions. I have a suspicion that no matter what you end up doing, there will be teaching involved. I'm sorry, but fish just swim, and birds they just fly. I've found that people who are teachers, they just can't help themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part of being natural teacher is an innate desire to help. So it was natural for you to take a shot at it. Sounds right to decline this situation though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Listen, Jefferson:

    I'm not an ass kiss in any way, shape, or form; however, I would like to hone in on one of your points, regarding your teaching abilities and perhaps shed some light as to why someone was "blown away" by your talent.

    First of all, you're easy to understand. I mean, ridiculously easy. You took concepts that I struggled with a few years ago and made these concepts as easy as reading a Mother Goose rhyme. In fact, I have borrowed your ability to simplify things in an effective manner and apply them to different aspects of my life: Tutoring others with their math homework, explaining technical terms to customer while I'm at work, etc. People appreciate a person that make seemingly "complex" ideas simplified, but isn't condescending whilst doing it.


    Second; you're a great speaker. It's so weird that you have issues talking in public, because when you talk to your students in class, it seems that you are confident in what you are teaching. You know what to say and how to say it. People appreciate that; I sure as hell did. If you sounded like you didn't know what the hell you were talking about, nobody would have confidence in what you were trying to teach them and tune out and you would fail to maintain their attention.

    Small things like that go a long way when you're a teacher, Jefferson. You may not be creating theories or doing anything ground breaking, but it's how you present the material and how you handle yourself while you're standing up front, that sets you apart from the "average" teacher.

    - geva

    ReplyDelete