04 February 2010

A Ramling, Semi-Pointless, Blog Entry

So I've decided to move my blog. I got so frustrated with Wordpress that I decided to move this blog to Blogger. Wordpress looks slicker, but not being able to have things look the way I wanted them to, having blog posts have different font sizes, not getting photos to look like I wanted them - it became too time-consuming.

Speaking of time consuming, I've had little to do over the past week.

I had a "get to know you" session with a company that seemed somewhat interested in me. I can't say I was thrilled with the opportunity, mainly because it was kind of far. Also, me having to go to the US in April and in June was kind of a turn-off for them, so I guess it ended up working out best for both parties.

The whole April and June trips have made the job hunt somewhat more difficult. Who would want to hire a person who would end up missing 3-4 weeks during their first 4 months on the job? I wouldn't.

I think if I had known about the April trip (Lauren is going to a conference in Baltimore, and being that my family is there, it makes sense for me to go), I think I would have stayed at De Anza for the Winter Quarter, and started my leave in April. It would have made more sense, and made me more money. But, what can you do, right?

I've looked at a lot of jobs here, and the one thing that has struck me, is how much lower salaries are here, when compared to the Bay Area. Of course everyone talks about how expensive the Bay Area is, but rents in Oxford are similar to the Bay Area and transportation costs a hell of a lot more, so I've been surprised at how low some salaries are.

On the other hand, I think groceries are cheaper here. I have always loved going grocery shopping - I think it's genetic - my dad is also a fan of the grocery store and even has a "system" that I won't get into here. The combination of knowing the conversion rate, the knowing the math to do the conversion quickly, and the enjoyment of walking around grocery stores, has told me that groceries are cheaper here, for the most part. I've started to mentally log which stores have the cheapest fill-in-the-blank. I still have a way to go before I can tell you which store has the cheapest shampoo, but I'm sure I can get there in a few months.

The highlight of my week so far was winning a copy of the novel Push (which the film Precious is based on) from a website and movie theater promotion. It's the third time I've won something in a city-wide contest (in high school, over one summer, I won $103 and movie tickets to a movie I never bothered picking up, from two different radio stations). Anyhow, as my blog readers know, reading is not really my thing. I'll read this book though, eventually, because I've been told from several people that it's worth the read. One of the recommenders was a counselor who worked with a student I had a few Quarters ago. They recommended I read the book because the student was very similar to the main character in the book so, if nothing else, I'm curious about that comparison.

I feel like this has been quite the rambling blog, making little sense, and probably putting you to sleep, so, for no reason whatsoever, here's Charlie Brown (I've had Charlie for years, and I say where ever his is, is home).

No comments:

Post a Comment