01 January 2010

When the Lights Go down in the City

This blog is a break from the De Anza Math Teacher blog, because I am taking a break from being a De Anza math teacher. I'm in the process of moving to Oxford, England and, as I write this, I'm on a flight from San Francisco to Washington DC, with Geordi at my feet, not feeling his best, doped up on pet Zanex, prescribed by his vet. The move has been stressful since I decided that I would follow Lauren to Oxford, back in the late summer, but the overwhelmingness of the move came to a head over the past week or two, and taking Geordi on this flight has been part of it.

In fact, that's kind of where the most recent stress of the move begins.

Geordi is going to be staying with my parents in Towson, Maryland while we are in England (and possibly longer if all parties like the living situation). We looked into a variety of ways to get him across the country and settled on an overnight flight with Continental's program that ships pets in cargo.

Then came December 21. On December 21, two medical things were supposed to happen - my mother was scheduled to have a pretty complicated medical procedure done at Johns Hopkins and Geordi was scheduled to get a health certificate that would allow him to fly. My mom's procedure when relatively well. Geordi on the other hand...

Getting a travel certificate should be routine. The vet looks at him, says he's okay, signs a form, we leave. Not so easy. Geordi had a rotten tooth that had to be extracted. They could do it that day the vet said, sure we said, they pulled it, we brought him home with some medication and we thought all was good.

December 22. Geordi gets blocked - he can't pee. We rush him back to vet, they want to keep there for a few hours and they discover he has a bladder stone. Surgery. Fantastic! I see my wallet getting lighter by the minute.

Also on the 22nd, a big cube was to be dropped off for us to load up our stuff in. They were to get there between 12 and 4, so we sat and sat and sat, until 3:45 when the guy showed up. I was hoping to start loading that day, but there was other stuff that needed to be done....

Lauren's father's family was scheduled to arrive that evening, so we had to go get a minivan from a rental place, and pick them up in San Jose. Packing didn't happen that day.

On the 23rd we got word the Geordi would be allowed to come home on the 24th. This threw a wrench into our plans because we were supposed to go to Sacramento for Lauren's family reunion. I would not be going on that trip now, because I would need to pick up Geordi and care for him.

With the help of Lauren's family, we were able to do some loading of the Relo-Cube that was to take all of our stuff to Towson. The family left that evening and I was in the apartment alone, for the first time in over five years.

My Christmas Eve day was spent packing, getting Geordi from the vet, more packing, and yet even more packing. My nervousness really kicked in that day because the day before we got word that I would have to take Geordi on my flight with me, and seeing him after surgery made me worry about what a difficult task that would be.

On Christmas day, Lauren's family returned, and we did more packing - in fact, the rest of the weekend was spent packing, getting things in order to leave the Bay Area, and more packing.

The 28th of December was our 3rd anniversary. We spent our anniversary cleaning. I spent about 2 hours cleaning our oven and fridge only to have the apartment manager glance at them and say they were clean. I was hoping for a more detailed inspection after all the work I'd done. We finished loading up the cube that evening and the cube was ready to be picked up.

For our anniversary dinner, we went to IHOP. IHOP always reminds me of my college roommate, Arwin. He said he liked IHOP because "it's cheap and it's good". IHOP was the first place I ate when I moved to the South Bay; I was hungry and saw one and went in to eat. It was fitting that my last food outing in the South Bay was also at IHOP (though not the one I ate in 8 years ago).

I'm out of the Bay Area for a while, and Geordi has now made it safely to Towson.

The toughest part of the flight with Geordi turned out to be taking him out of his carrying case and walking, with him in my arms, through security. He was quiet the entire flight (thank you Zanex!) and on the 1 1/2 drive from the airport to my parents' house.

I'm in Towson for the next 10 days, getting Geordi used to my parents and my parents used to him, seeing my family, and feeling nervous about the next big step - moving to Oxford.

Lights by Journey

No comments:

Post a Comment